Unfortunately, there are not many people who are interested in restoring and
preserving the Type 4. And those that are might even be looked at in weird
ways among fellow VW enthusiasts. ;) Here are some reasons why:
- The design is funky even by today's standards
- Parts are very hard to come by if you don't already have a source
- The technology, like fuel injection, gas-electric heaters etc. is harder
to restore and requires more technical background
- It is very hard to find restoreable Type 4s since few were ever bought and
most were simply run into the ground
- Sadly enough, many people do not consider the Type 4 a classic car in
any way, they see it more as a stranger in the VW family
All of the above makes Type 4 enthusiasts a rare breed, indeed. Just like the
automobiles of their desire.
The author of these pages is not aware of any dedicated Type 4-clubs in the
United States, but with enough interest something might develop.
There are a few valiant fighters out there.
There is a tiny core of Type 4-enthusiasts
looking for more people to share parts, literature, stories and technical
advice with. Drop the author a note if interested.